Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Music: Christa Wells

Music is one of my favorite things.  The Lord has used it so many times to encourage my heart and to put words to exactly how I feel.  The lyrics of my favorite songs are continually pointing me back to Christ, and for that I am thankful.  Music is made to be shared, so I hope to occasionally post about artists and songs that have encouraged and challenged me.  I first heard about Christa Wells through this blog post by Ann Voskamp.  Her music is beautiful and the lyrics never fail to express what is in my heart.  Her cd's were often my soundtrack during my years in the Philippines, pointing me to Christ and pouring Truth into my heart.  I found out this week that she lives in the same town I'll be moving to in January, so maybe I'll be able to make it to one of her concerts in the near future!  Her latest song is a beautiful tribute to her mom that she wrote for Mother's Day... you can check out the video here.  And... she's raising funds to start work on a new album!  Check it out here to be a part of the project.  I'll leave you with a smattering of some of my favorite lyrics of hers...

A thousand things are happening in this one thing
Like a thousand fields nourished by a single drop of rain
So honey, wrap yourself in promise
while you wait the morning light
A thousand things are happening tonight

We come in pieces, we come in fragments
We come discolored, to the foot of the cross
Our Maker sees us, all that we have been
Bonds us together, the Image of God

Oh, the law I cannot keep
Brings me breathless to my knees
And there I learn to let the gospel be
The sum of what I know
Like rays of rising hope
Oh, dawn of grace upon my soul
The sweetest day my heart has known
And once I looked on Jesus’ face
It was the dawn of grace
All my striving is in vain
All my pride a losing game
And all of my best efforts, simply chains
My Savior steals me from the night
Leads me into love and light

Take us down and lay us low
Leave ashes in place of gold
Life-giver sustainer
Let nothing remain of our pride
From your mountain on high
Lay us low

All the things I pursue
Well, they stay for a season,
Then everything moves,
Everything moves, oh
My towers fall,
But You aren’t leaving me
‘Cause everything moves but You

All that you need, all that you need
He’s all that you need
There’s no way to earn
What you’ve already got
Nothing to lose
When you’re loved from the start

His bow is on the strings

And the tune resonates in the open space
To show us how emptiness sings:
Glory to God, Glory to God!
In fullness of wisdom,
He writes my story into his song,
My life for the glory of God.

No comments: