Saturday, October 16, 2010

Language Study: Week 1

I've been in my language study city for 1 week now... only 5 more to go! It's been a challenging week, but a good one. I'm living with a Filipino family--a pastor, his wife (my teacher), and their 8-year-old daughter. I've really enjoyed getting to know their family and the sweet people at their church. The city is huge (to me anyway), so I'm still trying to learn my way around. Here's a few pictures of my first week..

me with Pauline, the daughter of the family I'm staying with

Joy, my new friend/language helper/tour guide

one of the cathedrals in the city

sunset over Lake Taal

Please be praying...
- for grace and patience
- that I would have a humble and teachable spirit
- for boldness as I go out and practice language everyday
- for energy and the ability to focus on the task at hand
- for persistence when faced with discouragement
- that I would be able to learn my way around the city and build good relationships with
the people around me
- for opportunities to share the Father's love and truth

2 comments:

The Hagens said...

our hearts and prayers are with you! hang in there, and see you in 5 wks. :)

Betsy said...

I know that it can be frustrating to learn a foreign language, but remember this:

God has the power to overcome language. When you lack the right words to say, He knows them by heart.

I'm praying!